Sublime Birth times two

Find out what's happening with baby #2 :)

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Nursing update, and response to comment

At 22.5 months or so, Maddie's nursing about 3 times a day most days. Yesterday, she didn't nurse at all. I've been working on weaning her slowly (obviously) and it has been trauma-free so far.

There's a comment about nursing in the comments section and I'm sure Chad's cousin Larry isn't the only one thinking that this seems like a long time to nurse, so I wanted to respond.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for 6-8 months, then nursing for *at least* a year, and as long as is mutually desireable. The World Health Organization recommends nursing for at least 2 years. In other countries, this is considered normal and healthy. In our country, only 14% of babies are nursed for 6 months. The health benefits for babies AND toddlers of nursing are overwhelming. It's no wonder with such miserable breastfeeding rates that our country, though the richest in the world, is one of the sickest in the developed world. Breastfeeding doesn't just benefit babies-it also benefits mothers, with reductions in many types of cancers, diabetes, osteoperosis, etc. The longer a mother breastfeeds, the greater the benefits.

So by American standards I may be odd, but my daughter's extremely healthy. She's never sick, and I have greatly reduced my risk of breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, cervical cancer, diabetes, and osteoperosis later in life. I have reduced her chances of diabetes and all types of cancer. I've provided her with an optimal immune system. I've helped her jaw and facial development, and saved her from all types of stomach upsets.

For more information on the bazillion benefits of breastfeeding, here's a great site:

http://www.promom.org/101/

2 Comments:

  • At April 15, 2006 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    With you all the way. Nursing my 30 month old twice a day continues to benefit us both in many ways. Finally weaning totally will be OK when it happens at my initiative or hers. I have never pulled off "don't offer, don't refuse" because I refuse frequently for various reasons, but my deal with her now is that I arrange for her to nurse twice a day. She did not ask this morning (unusual) although I have at times refused her first thing in the morning if her brother was extra nursey at night. I wonder if we'll do twice today or once.

    Thanks for inviting me to your blog.

    Maureen

     
  • At April 15, 2006 8:28 AM, Blogger Tiffany said…

    With all those benefits, is seems we should nurse for as long as possible :)
    Makes me want to nurse forever....especially since it also helps mom lose weight after the baby!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home